Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Wisdom of No Escape

    My biggest fear is not losing control but being trapped.The basis for all fear is a perceived threatening activating event triggering anxiety laden beliefs which result in a flight or fight reaction. Paradoxically, in behavioral terms when it comes to fear one always gets what one resists, meaning fear becomes it's own reinforcement. Being trapped is not related to anything actually "out there" but rather how my mind translates these events and is known as cleithrophobia. 

    "Cleithrophobia is a fear of being trapped or locked in an enclosed space. The origin of the word is originally from the Greek cleithro which means to shut or to close and the English phobia which implies a persistent fear." -Wikipedia

    In reality, I am not anxious or claustrophobic in enclosed spaces, only the certain stifling situations I discern as preventing easy escape (like my second marriage). When these events arise, my first response is to strategically plan multiple avenues of flight. Obsessing about these schemes gives me a sense of empowerment. The litany of this treadmill goes on ad nauseum causing me tremendous anguish. Because I am an introvert, my internalized dialogue appears to the outside world like I am preoccupied. My external defense to all of this is to be a highly regarded achiever; all of this while exhibiting a cheerful, humorous mask which effectively disguises the torment within. From time to time I verbalize some of my escapist flights of fancy to my friends, but they know I have good impulse control which will quell any concrete plans coming into fruition. Though I talk about my angst concerning my limitations, rarely do I share the depth to how this affects me.

    Last week I came face to face with some predicaments which launched a cascade of cleithrophobia. It started innocently enough by planning a vacation back to Minnesota to visit family and friends. Since I had not been back there for five years, I began contacting everyone to let them know I wanted to spend time with them. One of my friends I was planning to see acknowledged she is dealing with the imminent death of her sister from ovarian cancer. Her description of her sister’s dying was horrific. As another intuitive thinker, I knew how despairing and devastated she felt. It shook me to my core as well. Why? Not only could I sympathize with her nightmare, but I am also facing the looming loss of three of my siblings from terminal illnesses.

    One of the people I will also be visiting in Minnesota is my oldest brother Steven, who is dying from end stage Parkinson’s disease. We have never had a close relationship, but in recent years we have been attempting to maintain closer communications. When I called him to tell him about my visit, he said he was looking forward to meeting with me. He talked about how his life has become more and more unmanageable due to the debilitating ravages of his disease. For the first time, I could hear the unmistakable death rattle in his voice. It was not just the content of what he was saying but the tonal quality of how he articulated his decline. Emotionally, it felt gut wrenching. This conversation generated a torrent of feelings, thoughts, and memories about our familial history. Suddenly I felt like me feet had just stepped into a big bear trap. But this was only the beginning
.
    Knowing I would soon have to come to terms with him also made me realize there were two more impending deaths I had to handle. My oldest sister is dying from an inoperable benign brain tumor and my youngest brother is dying from t-cell hepatosplenic lymphoma. For years I just shoved my feelings about my conflicted relationships with them into a nice shelf thinking that I would not have to deal with them. I have not spoken with them for years. I am uncertain how to even go about a resolving the years of hard feelings and nursed hurts which solidified the division in our relationships. The bear trap has now become tighter, gripping me with no place to flee.

    I have experienced enough death in my life both personally and professionally to understand the emotional process of grieving. However, the loss of my siblings is completely new ground to me. Reviewing our history together, I see the good, the bad, and the ugly of how each of my siblings influenced me. Approaching their deaths is akin to having surgical removal of parts in me that have internalized their traits. Psychologically, I can no longer deny I will be unaffected by their deaths. Spiritually, I feel I am being offered an opportunity to reconcile my external sibling relationships with the internal aspects of them I have either accepted or rejected. Needless to say, I am feeling fractured. The resulting emotions are a confusing mix of helpless sadness, abject dread, grasping for comfort, and attachment to anything that brings pleasure. In other words, I am trapped without my traditional avenues of escape. There is nowhere left to run.

    As someone with Buddhist leanings, my current situation is calling for compassion, loving kindness, meditation, gentleness, precision, and letting go. Can I become friends with my intense emotional grasping and attachment and let them be without bolting for the familiarity of my evacuation routes? Is there wisdom in no escape?

No comments:

Post a Comment