Saturday, December 23, 2017

Mika Brzezinski's Back Peddling

"Brzezinski had been discussing the avalanche of sexual harassment allegations against powerful men in recent weeks on "Morning Joe" when she said that Halperin, a friend of hers, "is more than willing to meet with his accusers and apologize [to] them face--to-face."
"I've actually tried to offer him to them," Brzezinski said. "They don't want to talk to him. They don't want to talk to him." 
"In our discussion about sexual harassment this morning, I said some things that hurt people," she added. "In the case of Mark, my goal today was to start a conversation about hearing from the men whenever we can, but I realize that it is not my place. It isn't my call to make, and for that I am truly sorry. As a victim of sexual assault, I understand that each individual's case is different. This is up to the victims, some of whom I've been in contact with. My hope is for all of us to come together to support the brave women who speak out and help make workplaces safer as we continue this difficult conversation in the months and years ahead."-CNN

Dear Mika,
      In spite of your position, power, fame, and money, you do not speak for those of us who have been victims of sexual harassment and/or sexual assault. Thinking it was your job to protect one of your rich predatory male friends by offering his victims a chance to personally speak to him so he could apologize is incredibly arrogant, hurtful, and downright deluded. Though you claim to be a victim of sexual assault, you are clueless to the term identification with the aggressor. Protecting your friend, Mark Halperin, by callously interceding on his behalf shows you have no sensitivity whatsoever to the women who endured his harmful behavior and who are still struggling to recover. Your belief that a shallow, contrite apology from him would make his victims feel better demonstrates you have sided with the aggressor over his victims. By publicly deriding the women he perpetrated his acts upon is why the 'me, too' movement has exploded: like many, your thinking that this can all go away with a simple mea culpa undercuts the seriousness of all of his offenses and gives your offender friend the license to be absolved without consequences with a requisite, "I'm sorry". This is abhorrent to those of us who have experienced any degree of sexual defilement and are seeking .
     I will no longer accept trite apologies from anyone protecting people for their sexually exploitative behavior. Personally, I hope you are terminated from MSNBC for your shame-based remarks belittling the brave women who brought out your friend's predation. Maybe spending time volunteering in a rape crisis center will provide you with the insight you need to think before you speak.
    So long, "Morning Joe", I will no longer be viewing your program.
     
      

No comments:

Post a Comment