Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Why is God Punishing Bill O'Reilly with Sexual Harassment Claims?


"You know, am I mad at God? Yeah, I'm mad at him," O'Reilly said on the latest episode of his web series, "No Spin News." "I wish I had more protection. I wish this stuff didn't happen. I can't explain it to you. Yeah, I'm mad at him." -CNN

As a woman who was raised a Catholic, I find Bill O'Reilly's anger at God perplexing. Really? He can't pinpoint his powerful need to act out lasciviously as the primary reason why the woman he sexually harassed who won millions in court settlements? Get off the cross, Bill, we need the wood. 

One does not lose multiple sexual harassment claims because God is punishing you. The courts have found there is more than a preponderance of evidence that you inflicted unwanted sexual advances on women in your workplace. Millions of dollars worth, to be precise-that's a lot of harassment. The church doctrine I was raised with does not implicate God directing anyone to sexually harass. Is there some secret 11th Commandment stating, "Thou shalt be given sexual authority over women to do whatever thou pleases"? The Baltimore catechism we were raised with does not contain this amendment.

Face it, Bill, it's time to go to confession. Maybe losing millions in sexual harassment lawsuits is a wake up call for you to do a fearless moral inventory of your behavior and do an act of contrition. Here it is in case you've forgotten:
"O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you, and I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell, But most of all because they have offended you, my God who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and to amend my life. Amen"

And, the act of contrition is not simply saying, "I am sorry." It also directs the penitent to do atonement and amend one's life so one does not continue to commit the same offense. Are you listening Bill?


No comments:

Post a Comment