Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Father Kills 14 Year-Old Son: 'He Would Rather Have a Dead Son Than a Gay Son'


This is a headline I awoke to this morning.  According to the article, the foster father of this child "hated the fact that his son was gay," Jones said. "I'm sure that inside of his mind, he would rather have a dead son than a gay son." Rest in peace, young one, you did not deserve having your life cut short by such hatred.

The United States seems to be leading the world in hate crimes targeting the murder of innocents. The Pulse, Texas, Las Vegas shootings and all the other slaughters, add up to that we are an intolerant country and it is driving a deep rage in unbalanced individuals who think the only solution is killing. 

As a gun control proponent, I realize these crimes would most likely be committed even with stronger gun control measures. Just like suicide, if people are going to do it they will find a way. But it is unconscionable to just roll over and not attempt to prevent guns being easily placed in the hands of the mentally ill, terrorists, and others who would easily use them to snuff out the lives of those they hate.

Hatred is becoming rampant with a contagion that lends itself to violence. The eye for an eye mentality is pervasive as we see our leaders devolve into supporting racism, homophobia, sexism, and authoritarianism-the perfect formula for rationalizing hatred. 

I am tired of hatred. I am tired of hearing about young gay children being murdered because of their sexual orientation. I am tired of seeing a gambling addict pick off innocent people at a concert. I am tired of viewing videos of troubled Texas man murder a church full of people. I am tired of hearing about women being sexually assaulted by privileged and powerful men. I am tired of the rhetoric that we have to fear those different than us. I am tired of hatred.

Where do we start? We start with ourselves. We start by being a kinder gentler nation. We start with tolerance. We start with non-violence. We start by loving more. 

"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me."


No comments:

Post a Comment