Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Happy 60th Birthday, Karen!


    Happy 60th Birthday Karen!
    Today is an auspicious event: the 60th birthday of one of my dearest friends, Karen of Basalt, Colorado. In Eastern cultures, the 60th birthday represents a landmark event worthy of celebration. It is believed 60 marks a complete circle in one’s life. The planets are placed in the same configuration as when you were born. Customarily, a big event is thrown celebrating your life where you begin your day eating long noodles, a symbol of an even longer life.
    Who is this marvelous woman? She is simply spectacular. I have known her for more than twenty years, having met her when we were both enduring bitter life scourges in northern Idaho. She is a party in a bottle, the funniest woman I have ever met, and has the soul of an artist. There are not enough adjectives to describe how much she brings to my life. We became so bonded that we made a pack that we both had to leave our God forsaken lives in Idaho before one or both of us died from the craziness of the place. She went to Colorado and a week later, I went to California.
    Here are just two incidents from our lives in Idaho that glued us together.
    Twenty years ago Karen was a bartender at a northern Idaho biker bar. Even though I was married, I would meet her there when she was working to escape my dreadful marriage. One Saturday night when she was working, I went to visit her to drink and dance. In my younger days, I was very becoming and attractive, delighting in dance to forget my sorrows at her bar. One night there was a row of men panting to dance with me but obviously too frightened to ask me. At the bar was an old logger, the father of one of the biker boys, who was into his eighties. I asked this elderly gentlemen to dance with me and he was fun. Karen, who was bartending, said to me the younger men at the bar, with mouths agape, were stunned to watch me dancing with this old fart. These guys could just not figure out why I would do this. Karen sat there and watched these guys and said to them, “Let’s hope that old man doesn’t get an erection, he might just fall over.”
    The second incident occurred at Karen’s Twin Lakes' cabin. During the early nineties, meth production in northern Idaho was being proliferated and distributed by the biker gangs who frequented Karen’s bar. For some reason, the biker guys (and their wives) really liked me and were actually sweet to me. Karen is a fierce Irish woman who did not go into this trafficking of meth at the bar. When she voiced this to the owner, it somehow got back to the biker gangs putting Karen at great personal risk. One day in April, she invited me to her house for her son’s birthday. I was stoked to have a reason to elude my oppressive husband, so I decided to be merry by bringing lots of birthday accoutrements to help celebrate the occasion. When I arrived in my white car dressed in all white I must have looked like an angel. There on her front lawn sat Karen with another bartending friend, surrounded by several of the biker wives from the bar. My first thought was they were all here for the birthday party. As I drew closer to this group, I was oblivious to what was really going on. In my zeal to be festive, I shouted out, “Snacks, I have snacks and coke (cola) for the party! Anyone want some?” What I did not see was Karen and her friend were blanched white with fear as these biker women were about to lay siege to them for causing problems with their meth business. Not knowing this was going on, I happily said “hi” to the women and asked them if they were going to stay for the party. Because I appeared so totally foolish, it dissolved their intention to exact their vendetta and they decided to leave. Still not getting what was going on, I said to them as they left, “Too bad you can’t stay, it’s going to be a fun party.” When the blood returned to Karen’s face, she and her friend knew my clueless loony entrance just saved them from having their asses whooped. Even today, Karen laughs how I looked like an angel that day rescuing her from what could have been a dire predicament.
    Here’s to my delightful friend with whom I shared many funny times. I love you, Karen.

No comments:

Post a Comment